Benefits of a Premarital Agreement
Premarital agreements make a lot of people uncomfortable. For many, they think that making plans for a potential breakup of the marriage is the same thing as expecting it to fail. The reality is, however, that premarital agreements can protect everyone’s future and may even make a marriage better.
What are Premarital Agreements?
Premarital agreements, also known as “prenuptial agreements” or simply “prenups,” are contracts into which people who are getting married can enter. They usually address the way that the finances will be handled in the event that the marriage ends or certain events happen. For example, a premarital agreement could include terms that keep certain assets solely in the name of one spouse or that prevent the other party from seeking maintenance in the event of infidelity.
Premarital Agreement Benefits
There are various benefits to entering into a premarital agreement with your soon-to-be spouse, especially if either of you is bringing significant assets to the marriage or have high earning potential. Some of these potential benefits include:
- Protecting of premarital assets
- Each party has a clear understanding of how divorce may affect their financial situation
- In the event of divorce, you will likely spend less on legal counsel if you have a valid prenup
- Ensuring certain assets stay in the family
- Avoiding taking on debts accrued by your spouse
- Protecting the interests of children who you had with someone other than your soon-to-be husband or wife
- Protecting your business from liquidation
The specific ways in which a prenup can benefit you depends on your situation, and a skilled lawyer can help you determine whether entering into a prenup is right for you.
Speak with a California Family Law Attorney Today
If you are planning on getting married and have any questions about premarital agreements, Furubotten Law is here to help. To schedule a consultation with an attorney,
contact us today. We have office locations in Huntington Beach, Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Murrieta.