At Furubotten Law we understand how important your safety and peace of mind are to you. If you or your children are in danger of harm or you feel threatened, California law provides the protection you need through different types of restraining orders. You should begin by immediately calling law enforcement for help. Your next call should be to an experienced domestic violence attorney at Furubotten Law.
There are four different types of restraining orders designed to help victims of harassment or domestic violence:
Types of Restraining Orders
- Emergency Protective Order or EPO – An Emergency Protective Order is issued by law enforcement and is valid for no more than five court days. It protects victims of:
- Domestic Violence
- Child Abuse
- Child Abduction
- Domestic Violence Temporary Restraining Order (also called TRO or DVRO) – This restraining order is issued by a judge for victims of domestic violence for an initial period of 15-21 days. An additional court date will follow the order at which time the judge may cancel the temporary order or extend the order for up to three years.
- Criminal Protective Order (No Contact Order) – Criminal Protective Orders are obtained through the District Attorney’s office to protect victims or witnesses of a crime.
- Civil Harassment Restraining Order – This restraining order is often obtained for individuals who do not qualify for a domestic violence order. The order may be issued initially for 15-21 days. An additional court date will follow the order at which time the judge may cancel the order or extend it for up to three years.
Civil Harassment Orders can be obtained to stop:
We have solutions for almost every budget. When you just can’t afford full attorney representation, check out our Attorney Assisted Services page to find out about obtaining limited services for:
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
- Civil Harassment Restraining Orders
Contact our offices today for a FREE initial consultation of your domestic violence and restraining order case with an experienced domestic violence attorney and find out which of our services are right for you.