For many people facing divorce, the amount of spousal support or alimony they will receive or will have to provide is a main concern. In California, spousal support is not a mandatory award. The court, using a wide variety of statutory factors must decide whether spousal support is appropriate in each case, the amount of the award, and the duration of the award. Navigating the complex laws, special circumstances and individual concerns requires the use of a highly skilled attorney trained in the area of spousal support law.
Spousal Support Determinations
A spousal support award is made on the basis of several statutory factors that include:
- The Respective Incomes of the Parties
- The Health of Both Parties
- The Educational Level of Both Parties
- The Marital Standard of Living
- Retirement Benefits
- The Length of the Marriage
- The Tax Consequences of an Award
- Any Other Factors that the Court Determines is Relevant and Just
The attorneys at Furubotten Law are experienced in representing parties on both sides of the issues. Whether you will receive spousal support or are facing the possibility of having to pay spousal support, our attorneys consistently reach optimum outcomes for our clients.
Furubotten Law is committed to helping clients on all levels and at all stages of your spousal support case. We offer full representation for spousal support matters for those who are able to retain an attorney to handle all aspects of the case. We also offer our attorney assisted services for those who can only afford limited attorney involvement. We can consult with you, discuss the difficulties, challenges and strengths of your case, and even prepare paperwork at your direction.
We have solutions for almost every budget. When you just can’t afford full attorney representation, check out our Attorney Assisted Services page to find out about obtaining limited services for:
- Spousal Support Calculations
- Initial Spousal Support Agreements
- Orders to Show Cause
- Modifications and Termination of Spousal Support
- Earnings Assignment Orders
- Attorney Consultations and Case Evaluations
Contact our offices today for a FREE initial consultation of your spousal support case and find out which of our spousal support services are right for you.